As you all know, The Boy and I are planning a move to Australia (Perth to be exact) in February.
As soon as anyone who knows me hears this, they all reply “You? In that heat!??” followed by laughing and that Are Ye Mad look.
Well I’ve ignored this. Yes I hate the heat, yes it makes my hair go crazy and that upsets me, yes I detest sweating, yes anything above about 20′c makes me incredibly cranky.
But sure I’m not going to care ….this is an adventure!
But then someone in work told me about this poison-filled spiders that are in Perth, and I freaked out.
I fear needles and that has dripped over to include any insects that bite and suck blood or put something else in, like poison or baby insects.
The lovely Bambola has sent me a nice little email calling me a crazy person because you hardly ever see them, but this came AFTER many hours of internet horror stories regarding these spiders and also my work mate’s own Attacked By Killer Spider story.
So I immediately told The Boy and he, knowing what I’m like (being there for The Mosquito Incident and being my ear during the I Couldn’t Sleep For A Month incident when I was convinced a bedbug had stowed away in the my bag from Venice), he knew this was a serious setback.
The weather I could probably deal with, but being constantly in fear of coming in contact with something that could cause me pain and possibly end up with an antivenom injection!?
You might call me a coward and you might be right, but it’s A fear like claustrophobia and I don’t think I can do a lot about it.
But then other botherments I’d been ignoring came flowing forward:
- What if something happened by brother while I was gone and I didn’t get home in time? He has a heart condition and I really don’t think I’d ever forgive myself if I couldn’t get back …being two days of flying away is a BIG risk.
- There’s a good chance things mightn’t work out over there, and considering the cost of flights and the fact I’m giving up a good job to go there, is it really a risk we should take?
- Also The Boy’s nanny hasn’t been well this year, so I know he’d feel bad if he wasn’t there, and I’d feel bad because Australia was my idea.
So we spent nearly four hours in our favourite diner discussing this, and while we haven’t scrapped the Australia idea, we’re aware of the fact that it’s not really the perfect plan for us anymore.
So we’ve to come up with alternatives.
- It has to be during 2010.
- It has to be at least 6months long, otherwise it’s not worth my while giving up my job.
- We will need to work at some stage during it, cos our savings won’t get us THAT far.
Initially we had this great plan of working for 6months in the US and then travelling around Europe for 4 or 5 months, but US visas are near IMPOSSIBLE to get when you’re over a year out of college (which I am) and don’t have ten years to waste waiting for your visa to come through.
It’d be TOUGH getting jobs in Europe cos we don’t speak any of the languages (well apart from The Boy speaking French).
Canada is a possibility, but they’re not accepting working holiday visa applications for 2010 until December and I’m reluctant to leave this all up in the air until then.
Guys …..any suggestions?