Yup, while other little girls were dreaming of being princesses and marrying beautiful boys, I was dreaming of libraries…
Don’t get me wrong, I have a pretty big collection as it is, but I haven’t bought a book in about five months due mainly to the fact that everything on the shelves seems to be crap.
I miss reading.
Anna Karenina killed me.
So I’m asking you, my dear readers, to recommend some good reads to me.
You should note that for no reason other than eccentricity, I do not read the following….
- Books set in Africa
- Books set in Asia
- Books set in South America
- Books set in Australia
- Books set during times of war
- Books set in Russia or other areas of Eastern Europe
- Pretentious books by know-it-all authors (I’m looking at you Elegance of a Hedgehog)
- Sci-fi or alien-related books (myth and magic is fine by me).
- Sappy love stories (although I am partial to a nice romantic plot ….damn you Twilight, you addictive feck! Note to Steph: Learn to write.)
- Oh and I don’t like reading about people with emotional problems or intellectual disabilities (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is SO overrated.)
EDIT: NotRuairi suggested I name some books I actually LIKE to help you guys out with your recommendations, which makes a lot of sense!
Some of my favourite books (and don’t necessarily limit yourself to these genres) include To Kill A Mockingbird, We Need To Talk About Kevin, The Secret History, The Thirteenth Tale, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Pride and Prejudice, Hitchhikers Guide, The Time Traveller’s Wife, Harry Potter Series….OH and I love books with twists and turns and mysteries (but not specifically crime novels).